Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Giver by Lois Lowry - A review


The Giver (The Giver, #1)

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Not everything under control is perfect. And every single thing could never be under anyone's control.

A society telling us what we must become, a society deciding what's best for us, a society trying to maintain balance in everything, a society which tells us what to hold on to and what we must let go of. We aren't living in this kind of society, or are we?

Are we prisoners of other people's choices for us? Do we really think that if we make other choices (other than those they've already planned for us), we'd be making the wrong one, and we'd be taking the wrong path?

Are we trapped in this kind of world as well? Do we still feel, see, and hear things beyond what our senses can grasp? Or do we simply no longer care about these things?


I find it hard to comment about this book because I feel like the way I've understood the story was quite too shallow compared to the actual message the author was trying to impose.

But I liked the book, I liked the way I understood it (uhh, maybe), even though the ending wasn't quite clear for me. What happened to the community he has left? Was their mission successful or what? The world that holds their future and past, what does it really imply? I don't know, I can't really tell. I'm still on the process of comprehending it further. Maybe I have yet to discover what's beyond the sentences that I've read, the pages that I've turned, the experiences of the characters that I've gone through. Maybe there's still more...

Of course, there will always be something more.


- E. 

No comments:

Post a Comment